Gamma irradiation is known as a ‘Cold Process’, which means it does not significantly increase the temperature of the processed product and is not reliant on humidity, temperature or pressure. This makes it ideal for sterilisation and decontamination of packaged goods.
It works by breaking down bacterial DNA and inhibiting bacterial division. Products or substances that are exposed to gamma rays (which are similar to UV) experience a disruption to their organic processes that cause contamination.
Steritech uses the isotope Cobalt-60, which is manufactured specifically for the irradiation process and is housed in specially designed chambers operating to strict standards and regulations.
The product being treated does not come into contact with the Cobalt-60. When the process is complete, the energy does not remain in the product, making it safe, efficient, chemical free and ready to use as soon as processing is complete.
What are the benefits?
- Highly reputable process
- Trusted and used worldwide
- Total penetration capability even with products that have multiple packaging
- Seals are not stressed so packaging remains intact
- Reliable, consistent results
- Services broad product applications
- Safe and environmentally friendly